Monday, February 24, 2014

One week!

Hey family!

It's amazingly strange and strangely amazing that I've been in Buenos Aires for exactly one week now. So far it has been our little "family of five" here at the seminary (Daniel, Melisa, Abner, and Camilo), until I was surprised this morning to find my friend Ani Wowk sleeping in the bunk below mine- what a lovely surprise! =D There are about 5 more guys, as well, and since I only saw them at lunchtime I don't have their names down yet: Pedro, Franco, and...nope, can't remember the rest. I'll let you know when I do!

So, one week in, what have I learned?
-Icecream here is 80 cents. Waffle cone, one scoop. 40+ flavors to choose from. In the wise words of the Lego movie: everything is awesome!
-Timing is different. I haven't quite cracked the code of what "get down here right now!" actually means, but depending on the context I think it's something like "well, get down here whenever you're ready, or y'know, about an hour"
-Friends are wonderful. I highly recommend them. Friends nearby who can give you hugs when you need them most, and friends 'a la distancia' who write you, skype, pray for you...wait, that's you! I thank God every time I think of you.

If you'd like something specific to pray with me for, it would be for a region of Buenos Aires called Palermo, which is basically an unreached people group. We want to make disciples in Palermo, maybe without a traditional church plant, and are looking for creative ways to minister. On a personal level, pray that I be able to balance the student/teacher/teacher of my fellow students role with grace and humility. (Warning-TMI ahead!!) And on a way too personal level, I'd really like my digestive system to get back to regular. I think my "filter" in English is wearing off the less I use it...oh dear.

On that embarrassing note...is there anything that I can pray with/for you?



7 comments:

  1. That's so cool you are there Jill!!! What a great adventure. :) afv.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAHH Jill I love you. I'm so excited to partner with you in praying for the people of Palermo! Thank you for keep us in the know! TQM amiga!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa 3 comments! I feel so loved! Felipe- it is a grand adventure! There's even a token Colombian here, so I feel right at home. And Caro- big hug from Ani, and thank you for your prayers. TQM tambien!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is late but Jill you seem o at home down there:) you did knowing the will of God and waiting the right way:) tell Ani and Pedro that their romance is unheard of and their updates teach me to wait for something deep and rare. Xoxo Jill:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sofi ;) I'm learning- slowly- that wherever God is, wherever His family is, my home is as well. Plus, I've been given a very awesome roommate who reminds me a lot of you! Seriously, it's like Sophia with a cordobes accent. What do you mean by unheard of? (just trying to wrap my brain around what you're trying to communicate to them so I can translate well =)

      Delete