Friday, August 8, 2014

The post o' happy

Well, you're right. That last letter was a bit south of sad, even for the southern hemisphere, so I'll make it up to you, and myself. This is going to be a post o' happy, not a contemplative or reflective anything, just a list of the things that have still managed to make me smile or laugh this last week:

1. Other people laughing. From Liz's giggles (because who doesn't like to hear babies laughing?) to the guys upstairs (which has been heard from two blocks away- impressive but true!), laughter is good. Very good. 

2. Bad translations.  I'm a language nerd, and this stuff sets me snickering. This is a pretty mild one, but spend any time wandering through the image groves of Google, and you'll see why it's addicting. 

3. Calvin and Hobbes. Any of them. 

4. Baby penguins. And the knowledge that they are less than a thousand miles away warms my heart. I should visit them. 

5. Ferris Bueller. Bueller. Bueller. Bueller...

6. Music for a Found Harmonium. Alias 'the song near the end of Napoleon Dynamite'. Ok, so this one doesn't make me laugh, but it at least makes me smile. Reminds me of a cassette my Uncle Dave made for us when we were younger ('SONGS FOR KIDS THAT HAVE TOO MUCH ENERGY'), and, indirectly, that it'll all turn out   ;) 


Well, that's all for now, folks! What things make you smile/laugh?

7 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, let's see. Things that make me laugh. Well, this week we are in Las Vegas visiting David and Brooklyn. By "we," I mean Carrie and children (Adam is leading a missions trip in South Carolina with his former youth group from Chicago), and Bob and I. Carrie's oldest boy, Brayden, simply adores Uncle David. Each evening, he comes out fifteen times (easily) before going to bed to remind David to wake him up in the middle of the night to have a little "party"....just the two of them. He keeps coming out and giving specific directions on where he will be sleeping, what he's wearing, etc, etc. :-) It's just sooo funny each time you think he is sound asleep in bed, but then comes back out to whisper some additional detail in Uncle DAvid's ear. None of us are privy to it...just he and his Uncle David. It's pretty darned cute, and pretty funny at the same time. It's all DAvid can do to keep from smiling...he acts all serious with Brayden, letting on like it's the most important thing in his world. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'SONGS FOR KIDS THAT HAVE TOO MUCH ENERGY' - that doesn't ring a bell, but that sounds like something I would make...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't remember? That was pretty much the soundtrack to Grant's and my childhood...you would've made it around '96, I think? Ask Jordan or Jess. I remember it had Turkey in the Straw and a bunch of other fast tunes on it. I have the cassette in my room in The Dalles, but the tape is broken.

      Delete
  3. I am happiest when I am free, when I am creating things or fixing something. I am happiest when I feel complete inside.

    It is equally beautiful to feel happy or to feel sad. It is equally good to feel both. :)

    I miss you, lovely Jill. I am so proud of you! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete