Thursday, May 15, 2014

Speak life (here's what the Bible sounds like to me)

I realized the other day that I like hearing other people read Scripture and pray aloud; I always get a new perspective hearing God's voice through their experience. My Bible is full of annotations of who shared what and when with me, and I thought it'd be cool to share with you how a portion of Scripture sounds like to me, in my voice.

This passage was particularly relevant to me today, and so...here goes! It's not a translation, but I did use some Greek geek power to try out some different words on for size.



You've heard the rumor: 'love your friends, hate your enemies'.

But I tell you: love your enemies.

Speak life to (and about) those who destroy with their words.
Do good to those who hate you.
Pray for people who disrespect and take advantage of you.

Be children of our Father in heaven.
He sends sunshine and makes rain fall on the innocent and the guilty.
Because, if you only love those who love you, what's the point?
If you only talk to people you get along with anyways, what's the difference? Even politicians do that!

Be complete (mature, perfect, being exactly who you were purposed to be), just as God is.

-Matthew 5:43-45

No comments:

Post a Comment