Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Meet...my roommate!


Those of you who talked and prayed with me before I left for Argentina know that having a good roommate was high on my anxiety/priority list. Moving to a new country and 24/7 community can be tricky, and even trickier if the person you spend a good portion of those 24/7 isn’t, well, awesome.

Fortunately, Lusila Daher is pretty awesome. Here’s why!

So awesome, she even has a beard!
1. She has a cool accent. Lusi is from Cordoba, which is inner-Argentina/cattle country/think thick country dialect. It kiiiind of sounds liiiiike this when sheeee talks, chango (dude)! Plus, she’s learning English, so…it’s just even more awesome.

2. She gives and receives back massages. This is important.
Yes, she is standing on the chair

3. She is short. Therefore, although we share the room, we occupy very different spaces in it. Let’s just say I’ve got friends in low places. However, our shirts and scarves fit each other! Shoes and pants…not so much.

4. She’s missions-minded. And also a bit of a hippie. Her ideal church would involve gypsies, if that gives you any better idea of what she’s about. 

5. She’s artistic. Lusi studies graphic design, and can find beauty in just about anything

6. She listens well. Even when I’m talking in English and she likely has no clue of what 75% of what I’m saying means, she knows how to nod in all the right places. Although I’m convinced that she can read my mind anyways (vanilla!).

Most of our photos together involve us being
really excited about food. The birthday waffles!
7. She is a good friend. From making “waffles” for my birthday breakfast (and finding peanut butter to go with them!) and going with me to do paperwork at 6 in the morning, to having good heart-to-heart/bunk-to-bunk talks and rubbing mosquito repellent onto my very ugly feet, I am incredibly blessed to have Lusi as a compañera de pieza (roommate), hermana (sister), and amiga (you know what that word means- psych!)



2 comments:

  1. gracias Jill!! estoy "altamente" sorprendida! 8O sos genial para mi!!! teee quieeero aaamiga (en cordobes) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) te lo merecés, changa! TQM también!

      Delete