Thursday, July 10, 2014

For the Lee-TESOL Blog!

Yo!

Name: Jill Pearson

Graduated 2013 B.A. in Spanish Education from Lee University   Minors: TESOL and Religion

Home: Oregon

Random fact: I learned Spanish working in a cherry orchard with Mexican migrant workers.




The seminary stairway to heaven...
Currently in: Buenos Aires, Argentina. More specifically, I live in Almagro, a middle class neighborhood near the city center, in a refurbished tenement-turned-seminary. One building, four stories, 20 seminarians, and 2 bathrooms. It’s pretty cozy!

Seminary?
Yep, I live on campus at a tiny Church of God seminary. I’m taking theology/ministry classes, and teaching English to my fellow students, most of who are from various parts of Argentina (plus a family from Peru and a couple guys from Colombia, Chile, and Cuba). It’s sort of a work-study arrangement- I don’t get “paid”, but I don’t have to pay tuition, either.

My class
I started with 6 students (all the first year seminarians), and during the semester added 3 more. Officially, we meet Thursdays from 3-5- you better believe I PACK those classes full- but since we all live together, I find myself teaching plenty “outside” of class…basically, whenever I have a spare moment. The kitchen, seems to be the space where the affective filter is lowest.

Starting the semester
I created a diagnostic test of sorts for my students, and learned that while they were familiar with explicit grammar instruction and writing, they weren’t very skilled in conversation, which is what they were most interested in. I also learned that I have a very diverse group in terms of levels- from A, who has taken 7 years of classes in an English institute to R, who took 2 weeks of English two years ago. After the diagnostic test, we sat down together and came up with two main goals for the semester: 1) to improve our understanding of English and be able to converse and 2) to learn about Christianity in the English-speaking world. I built the curriculum and daily objectives to support those two goals.

What does a “normal” class look like?
Long before class, I create a lesson plan- this takes about 6 hours, on average; I don’t have a textbook. Then, on Thursday, I print out any materials I’ll need, and write the day’s objective and “plan” (sequence of events) on a white board. I always start with a warm-up, normally a game or conversation activity to lower the affective filter and “switch” gears into English. From there, it varies. I’ve found it best to start with the most hands-on activities (role plays, film clips), and then end class with reading, evaluation, and a devotional thought. After class, I “grade” the class time and myself: what worked or didn’t work? It takes discipline and honesty, but it ensures that every class is better than the one before it, and that I improve as a teacher.

Improvements for next semester
My new resolution is to speak more English with the students outside of class- 1 day a week is not enough. I’d also like to incorporate more explicit pronunciation/intonation and guided listening practice.

What’s the most challenging thing about my living/teaching situation?
Living in community has its ups and downs- besides a roommate (who is wonderful), I deal with 19 different personalities and cultural assumptions and moods in and out of the “classroom”- almost exclusively in my second language (Spanish). There is not much down time or personal space- tough for an introvert like me! Living with my students has given me a distinct humility as a teacher that I might not have gained anywhere else.

The most rewarding?
My English class/fellow students- a pretty awesome bunch!
Going to the Obelisco last night to celebrate Argentina’s semifinal World Cup win with the students and millions of Argentines. “This is awesome”, remarked one (in English- I was so proud!). Then another echoed, sarcastically: “yeah, just a little bit”. I have taught them well ;) Actually, any time I can share tea with the students and have them comment that they understood the lyrics to a song they heard in English or borrow my graduation Bible to read is a pretty rewarding experience, too.

Advice?
Do as much homework as you can before you go live overseas, and be flexible and willing to live (and teach) with less. Make time with God a priority- it’s not easy with different demands on your life and emotions, but it may be the only thing that will keep you sane and able to give generously to your students. If you have a Mac, pack an extra charger. Explore your new home. Bring peanut butter; even if you don’t like it, your students may want to try something they’ve only seen in the movies. And…
Enjoy the adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment