Thursday, April 3, 2014

Meet...my English class!

Hey friends! I've been meaning to write you about my fellow seminary students- the ''sweet sixteen'' that live on campus here in the three (ish) stories of scrubbed concrete and damp plaster that we call home...and school...and work. I wanted to write earlier, but for once my procrastination has paid off: we know each other better after over a month of living together, but we're still enough in the honeymoon phase of convivencia that describing them now is about as flattering as it will get!

 I told this group that I get to be their teacher in English, but that they are my teachers in every other subject. So, without further ado, here are some things I've learned from my English class.




How to revive a dead computer and fix a toilet- not at the same time but almost (Franco and Gabriela) 
Franco and Gaby hail from Comodoro Rivadavia (south- any province with 'Commodore' is bound to be cool), and have been married almost two years. Gaby's a pastor's kid with a heart for youth, a sly sense of humor, and muscle knots in her neck in about the same places as mine. Franco's our go-to guy for all things tech (he studied computer systems), and in his own words last class, ''I don't want a guitar, but I have money...no...opposite!''




How to persevere (Raul)
Raul keeps his head above water despite only having had 2 weeks of English 2 years ago, can make a mean pizza and pasta, and likes just about any genre of music (especially funk). Give him a guitar and he'll likely start playing a bossa nova version of 'Autumn Leaves.'


 How to write a sweet Argentine gaucho-style ballad for hermeneutics class (Agustina)
Agus is a millenial of the 80's in terms of music, and has recently resolved to practice her English with me more, so I'm enjoying getting to know her better. She wants to work in the medical field someday, and although she never envisioned herself going to seminary, she says she's enjoying it. =)



How to baby-talk in Spanish (Tatiana, Diego, and Liz)
Tatiana and Diego, with 4 years of marriage, are the "oldest" of the seminary newlyweds. They are from La Plata, a few hours from the seminary, but live on campus to save themselves the commute (can't blame them there!) Tati studied dance until she had Liz, and would like to do hip-hop again when she gets the chance. Personality-wise, she's a combination of two of the sweetest women I know (Annika and Naomi), and likes to give hugs. Diego is a musician in every sense of the word, can improvise like no one's business, and would like to know if English has a word for 'bass guitar player' (bassist? bass man?). He's also hopelessly and understandably in love with his 6-month old daughter, Liz.

Liz is the seminary celebrity, and really almost deserves her own post. She's one of the most agreeable babies I've ever met, and is entertained by almost anything, especially the goofy faces everyone makes at mealtimes. To the benefit of all, she sleeps through most of the night- yay!

So, how DO you baby-talk in Spanish? Basically the same way you do in any language- high pitched and very repetitive. Lots of 'holaaa!'s, too. ;)



6 comments:

  1. Jordan says it is bassist. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving hearing all about your adventures and the awesome folks you are meeting! Love your servant's heart! Cousin Judi

    ReplyDelete