Thursday, March 6, 2014

What does a "Reading Day" look like at the Seminary?

...I'm sure glad you asked that non-rhetorical question! Here's what my today (Thursday of reading week) looked like!

5:50 My alarm goes off. I turn it off and go back to bed, because che, I can afford to.
6:22 I try to go for a run. I get as far as the front (wooden) door, but have no key.
6:24 I do jumping jacks on the roof
6:50 I try to do laundry, but again, I have no key. Sigh.
6:55 Shower! I shower in the guys bathroom, because the girls' has no hot water nozzle. In all other regards, it is still a perplexing arrangement, but I manage to get clean.
7:10 Breakfast! This was a first-time occurrence in the three weeks that I've been here, since in Argentina tea and an inch segment of a baguette=breakfast. But today that was only second breakfast- my first was milk and cereal. =) I talk with a visiting pastor about Oregon; he's been there!
8:00 Morning devotion, which then becomes a meeting about more seminary chore distribution stuff (think community covenant, times six pages, that controls about every aspect of your life)
9:45 Chore time. Sweeping out the room, random cleaning stuff...and laundry!
10:00 Reading time down in the library. Psalms, analysis, psalms, postmodern critique, and- get this- more psalms. All this accompanied by Les Miserables soundtrack music in my headphones. An odd juxtaposition, but brilliant.
1:30 Lunch, which I neither have to prepare or clean this week. Buen provecho! (to which you say: gracias!)
2:00 Running copies (literally- running down the street to make some last minute copies of the English diagnostic test)
3:00 English diagnostic test, which went swimmingly! I'm glad I took the research and time to create a good measure of not only of what they know, but also what they'd most like to learn. My brave group of students stayed afterwards to talk with me for nearly an hour- in English! (Fist pump!)
5:00 More reading, distractions (ahem- computer, mate, chores, conversations, and guitar), and reading
9:00 An unusually early dinner (normally it's at ten-buen provecho!)
9:30 Meeting and music practice for tomorrow
10:53 I write this way too long blog post. Che, you asked!
Future plans between now and 12:30 (lights out): Reading!

2 comments: